19. May 2011 04:07
Memorial Day is quickly approaching and the question on some people's minds is what to do with the extra time off from work. Many families enjoy traveling over the Memorial Day Weekend. In fact, according to AAA Michigan, over one million Michigan residents plan on traveling over this weekend.
The majority of those traveling (over 91 percent) are going by car. This means, that although gas prices are around $1.20 more than they were last year ($2.81 versus $4.00), the rising gas prices are not affecting the plans of those surveyed. In fact, 60 percent have voiced that gas prices will not affect their plans at all while the remaining 40 percent will simply make cuts in other areas of their travel budget or opt for trips closer to home.
In addition, of those traveling by plane, the numbers have increased as well from five and a half percent to six percent. Travelers are spending more money on flights and traveling further distances. This year, the average price for the lowest airfare in the top 40 U.S. air routes is $201.
The big question is, why is travel up this year? Are more people making plans than last year? Are more people tired of buckling down on expenses and are ready for a little splurge? Did Michigan (like many states) just get pounded with so much snow and ice over the winter, residents are aching for some fun in the sun?
While you ponder, check out Travel Deals that are sure to help you make your vacation plans!
More Than 1.1 Million Plan Memorial Day Trip, Reports AAA Michigan