As the little ones prepare for a night of begging for candy, it is important to make sure that your ghoulish little crowd know the rules that will keep them safe as they walk the neighborhood. In addition, as parents it is a good reminder to make sure that we remember our part in ensuring our little Halloween go-ers are healthy, safe, and have a fun time.
Here are some good tips to follow to have a spooktacularly safe Halloween celebration:
1. Make sure that children wear some sort of bright reflectors so cars can see them in the dark.
2. While masks are great, ensure that the eye openings are large enough so children can see without having a blind spot. Make sure those kiddos can easily spot cars as they are coming down the street.
3. Travel in groups - safety in numbers!
4. Go to homes that you know. You will feel more secure knowing that your neighbors are going to hook up your kids with the good stuff and you won't have to worry about shady homes.
5. Go out as early as possible. Yes, there are some older kids that want to spend the entire two hours designated for Beggar's Night, but most families can get the job done with plenty of loot during the first hour.
6. Inspect the kiddos candy - throw away ripped wrappers, homemade candy (unless you know the people who gave it), and anything that looks suspicious. Some people opt to only keep the stuff that is wrapped up and glued shut - that means wrappers twisted on like those for bubble gum or Tootsie rolls is pitched.
7. If it is cold outside, bulk up under that costume. I know your precious little princess wants to look really pretty, but few princesses look pretty blue and shivering.
8. Teach children to look both ways before crossing street if they are walking alone. Remind them to do so before they walk out the door.
9. Tell children to stay outdoors and never enter a stranger's home without an adult.
10. Make sure kids know to stay far away from lit candles. Teach them stop, drop, and roll technique ahead of time in case of fire hazard.
Looking for more tips? Check out the CDC's guidelines for a groovy ghoulfest!
Still looking for the perfect costume? Get $5 off orders of $50 or more at Halloween Mart!